Frequently asked questions
What kind of computer help do you offer?
I help people with their computers, smartphones, and related devices. I provide a wide variety of help:
- Troubleshooting and resolving problems
- Designing, updating, and consulting on web sites
- Teaching and coaching to improve skills and know-how
- Setting up computers, printers and other devices
How do we work together?
Contact me for a free phone consultation, to explain your needs and discuss ways we can work together. Normally this will take 10-15 minutes. Send me an email or use the Contact page to schedule a consultation.
We can work over the phone, and I can use a remote access app to connect with your computer. I also make house calls in the Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill area.
What devices and technology do you help with?
- Windows computers
- Mac computers
- Printers, WiFi, and related devices
- Web sites
- Social Media – Facebook and Twitter
How much do you charge?
- $40 / half-hour, for phone consultation and remote access to your computer
- $75 / hour
- $85 / hour for house calls within 10 miles of Cary
- $25 minimum for quick questions and help up to 15 minutes
What value do you bring?
- I bring you the benefit of my twenty-seven years of experience at IBM: analyzing software problems and providing customer support for Windows and Mac users.
- I research computer issues every day, to ensure I offer you the most up-to-date solutions to your problems.
- I encourage follow-up questions on any work I do for you.
- You get my guarantee: your problem is resolved to your satisfaction, or I will take the additional steps to resolve it, free of charge.
What is your prior experience?
- 27 years at IBM in North Carolina
- 2014-2017 – Customer Support for social media, IBM Cloud division
- 2011-2014 – Web Information Architect
- 2003-2011 – Manager, Software Documentation
- 2001-2003 – Marketing Lead, Software tools and customer support
- 1998-2001 – Website Architect and content manager
- 1997-1998 – Technical Writer
- 1990-1997 – Technical Editor
- Consultant, providing technical writing seminars for corporations such as Exxon/Mobil, Prudential, and US West 1988-1990
- Small businessman: founded and operated independent retail bookstore 1982 – 1988
- College English Instructor and Visiting Lecturer, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill 1978 – 1986
Do you make a commission when you recommend software?
No. I have no financial arrangements with any software company. That way, I can recommend the best software for your unique situation, without trying to “sell” you anything.
What kinds of computer help do you not provide?
I do not repair hardware, such as computers or printers. I do not remove computer viruses or other malware.