Frequently asked questions
What do I do?
I help people with their computers, smartphones, and related devices. I provide a wide variety of help: troubleshooting and resolving problems; teaching and coaching to improve skills and know-how; setting up printers and smart devices; creating and consulting on web sites. See the Services page for details.
How do we work together?
Contact me for a free phone consultation, to explain your needs and discuss ways we can work together. Normally this will take 10-15 minutes. Send me an email or use the Contact page to schedule a consultation.
We can work over the phone, and I can use a remote access app to connect with your computer. I also make house calls in the Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill area.
What devices and technology can I help you with?
- Windows computers
- Mac computers
- Printers, WiFi, and related devices
- Web sites
- Social Media – Facebook and Twitter
How much do I charge?
- $40 / half-hour, for phone consultation and remote access to your computer
- $75 / hour
- $85 / hour for house calls
What value do I bring you?
- You benefit from my twenty-seven years of experience: analyzing software problems and providing customer support for Windows and Mac users at IBM.
- I do extensive research on computer issues every day, to ensure I offer you the most up-to-date solutions to your problems.
- I encourage follow-up questions on any work I do for you.
- You get my guarantee: your problem is resolved to your satisfaction, or I will take additional steps to resolve it, free of charge.
What is my prior experience?
- 27 years at IBM in North Carolina
- 2014-2017 – Customer Support for social media, IBM Cloud division
- 2011-2014 – Web Information Architect
- 2003-2011 – Manager, Software Documentation
- 2001-2003 – Marketing Lead, Software tools and customer support
- 1998-2001 – Website Architect and content manager
- 1997-1998 – Technical Writer
- 1990-1997 – Technical Editor
- Consultant – provided technical writing seminars for corporations such as Exxon/Mobil, Prudential, and US West 1988-1990
- Small businessman – founded and operated independent retail bookstore 1982 – 1988
- College English Instructor – University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill 1978 – 1986
Do I make a commission when I recommend software to you?
No. I have no financial arrangements with any software company. That way, I can recommend the best software for your unique situation, without trying to “sell” you anything.